Buy Cuban Cigars Online

Think of us as your cigars online shop on the Web! We offer savings on cigars.

cuban man
cuban cigars smoke

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Customer Support

Subject Topic: Habanos verification Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Davey on February-25-2010 at 01:36 - IP Logged
View Davey's Profile Search for other posts by Davey Quote Davey Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Davey
Standard Member
Standard Member

February-25-2010
4 Posts
I recently purchased a 3 pack of Partagas Serie D, No. 4 tubos. While I was impressed with how quickly they showed up, I have developed a concern regarding their Cuban authenticity. The information from the Habanos stamp can be verified on the Habanos website (http://www.habanos.com/Sellos/Info/VerificaSelloCajon), and when I entered the information from these cigars the website reported them as "Non registered code for Habanos S.A. Illegal product". I will continue to research the legitimacy of their verification website, but I would also like to request some further confirmation of authenticity from you as well. Is there any proof you can provide regarding the Cuban authenticity of these cigars? Thanks for entertaining my concerns.

Message posted by Spykurrs Jr. on February-25-2010 at 02:07 - IP Logged
View Spykurrs Jr.'s Profile Search for other posts by Spykurrs Jr. Quote Spykurrs Jr. Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Spykurrs Jr.
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
May-03-2009
171 Posts
Hi Davey, the tubos do not register on the habanos website even though the numbers and bar codes are on the side.  The only numbers that will show up will be numbers from boxes with the new tamper resistant warranty seal with bar code and hologram.

-----------------
smoking a quality cigar is like smoking a rack of ribs, you have to do it low and SLOW.

Message posted by Penelopa on February-25-2010 at 12:40 - IP Logged
View Penelopa's Profile Search for other posts by Penelopa Quote Penelopa Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Penelopa
Gold Member
Gold Member
Spain
March-05-2009
302 Posts
I think you shouldn't worry about the authentisity. I ordered for several times from MCC and have never been disappointed.

Message posted by Support on February-25-2010 at 17:17 - IP Logged
View Support's Profile Search for other posts by Support Visit Support's Homepage Quote Support Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Support
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-24-2007
631 Posts
Hello Davey,

The smaller seal that is applied in Carton Packs has no barcode that can be verified on Habanos website:

Besides, these codes were only introduced in 2009, thus you won't find them on boxes from older stock.

The major identifying symbols for small packs are:

- the Habanos seal, typically affixed to the top right-hand corner

- Warranty Seal (like the one on the image)

- the words "HECHO EN CUBA" enclosed in an oval and "Totalmente a mano" in italics like here:

And of course cigar taste is the best proof of authenticity!

-----------------

Customer Support
support@my-cuban-cigars.com

Message posted by guzman on March-06-2010 at 03:20 - IP Logged
View guzman's Profile Search for other posts by guzman Quote guzman Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
guzman
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-06-2010
11 Posts

I wonder why boxes I have received from MCC over the last three months (Monte #4, Bolivar Petit Belicoso limitada 09) arrived with the barcode and the hologram clearly cut out with an exacto knife. A box of Monte #2 had the hologram still on  one end, but the barcode on the other end was cut out.

The sticker goo remains, making me wonder what is the point of removing the barcodes from these boxes. Because of this strange habit I have not been able to verify any box's authenticity.

Guz

Message posted by slowburn on March-06-2010 at 05:14 - IP Logged
View slowburn's Profile Search for other posts by slowburn Quote slowburn Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
slowburn
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
February-03-2010
74 Posts
The barcode and hologram on my box of Monte #4's was cut also. I'm confident they are authentic. It did catch my attention though, wasn't sure why they did that.

Message posted by gripper on March-08-2010 at 18:03 - IP Logged
View gripper's Profile Search for other posts by gripper Quote gripper Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
gripper
Standard Member
Standard Member
Canada
February-08-2008
61 Posts
Strange, curious to hear why these barcodes and holograms have been removed

-----------------
jps

Message posted by Dave K on March-08-2010 at 19:58 - IP Logged
View Dave K's Profile Search for other posts by Dave K Quote Dave K Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Dave K
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
January-13-2009
390 Posts
FWIW many distributors do that when shipping.  I've read posts from people all over the world that have had that done.  Not entirely sure the reason though.  One theory is that it is to prevent resale.

-----------------
Dave

Message posted by Support on March-09-2010 at 11:47 - IP Logged
View Support's Profile Search for other posts by Support Visit Support's Homepage Quote Support Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Support
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
United Kingdom
January-24-2007
631 Posts
That is done for security reasons.
Fortunatly there are many other ways to check authenticity. The most efficient way is actually smoking a cigar

-----------------

Customer Support
support@my-cuban-cigars.com

Message posted by guzman on March-09-2010 at 20:08 - IP Logged
View guzman's Profile Search for other posts by guzman Quote guzman Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
guzman
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
March-06-2010
11 Posts

Actually "smoking a cigar" is not a good way to tell a genuine from a counterfeit. From flavor, color, rolling technique and the cap you can only tell a cuban cigar from a non-cuban cigar.

It is not necessarily by smoking it alone that you can tell a genuine, say, Cohiba cigar from a counterfeit Cohiba. Particularly as cuban fakes are actually rolled out of cuba itself so the cigar looks good, tastes right, smokes ok: it's made in Cuba with Cuban tobacco but it's not necessarily a genuine Cohiba.

Those counterfeits often have original bands and come in original boxes too. Why else would Habanos SA go through such great lenghts as to serialize and register their products? Because there are tons of fraudolent products that are so close to the genuines that smoking one, looking at its band, or its box, is just not enough any more.

I would really like to know what those security reasons are. What is more important than guaranteeing the product?

Message posted by Dave K on March-09-2010 at 22:19 - IP Logged
View Dave K's Profile Search for other posts by Dave K Quote Dave K Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Dave K
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
January-13-2009
390 Posts

My guess...  If the boxes that come into the US are confiscated, and that code is on there, US Customs could track it back to the vendor.  Not that US laws hold in other countries, but there are ways that their businesses could be negatively impacted regardless.

Again, just my thoughts.

FWIW, I've only ever seen a couple fakes that were even close to the real thing.  In my experience, most of the time they don't taste right, even if they are rolled in Cuba.  My favorite reference on the topic is temporarily unavailable as they are moving their site, but I will post a link if I can find a good alternative.

-----------------
Dave

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register