Buy Cuban Cigars Online

Think of us as your cigars online shop on the Web! We offer savings on cigars.

cuban man
cuban cigars smoke

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Aficionados

Subject Topic: Beetle Nightmare Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Jesse 77 on November-29-2009 at 23:47 - IP Logged
View Jesse 77's Profile Search for other posts by Jesse 77 Quote Jesse 77 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Jesse 77
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
November-25-2009
30 Posts
So who here has been so lucky to have to deal with a tobacco beetle infestation ? I just had two of my three desk tops infested with them. I kinda of saw this coming. I guess you can say this is what happens when you are inexperienced. I actually bought a cigar with a perfect hole drilled in it once and paid it no mind. Then this cigar sat in my humidor for months. I also rotate my sticks and move them from one humidor to the other. So you can see where I am going with this. As I started to learn more and read about this. I see how bad it sucks to learn things the hard way. Trial and era is the story of my life. So I now about 250 cigars are in zip locks in my freezer. I cant even stand to think about how much money has gone into the stocking of my humidors. They are all non cubans but are all premium top notch sticks. So I just hope all this works out and I am able to save the bulk of my cigars.

Message posted by tejanoloco on November-30-2009 at 03:43 - IP Logged
View tejanoloco's Profile Search for other posts by tejanoloco Quote tejanoloco Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
tejanoloco
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
November-15-2009
108 Posts

that really &#$@@!#$@#$!#$????  That happened to me. I took them individually in a ziplock bag and put them in the freezer. I had several beetles. 

I just bought some Montecristo #4's.  I took them out of the pack and put them in the freezer for three days. I was not going to risk it.  I then put them in the fridge for 1 day.  They are all back in the humi now. I check them when I remember just to make sure.  So far, so good.

I just ordered some from MCC.  I will leave them sealed in the box and vaccum seal them until Christmas. 

Good luck. I hope those little suckers all have a pleasant frozen night after night.

-----------------
Tejanoloco

UP THE IRONS!!!!!!

Message posted by Dave K on November-30-2009 at 06:44 - IP Logged
View Dave K's Profile Search for other posts by Dave K Quote Dave K Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Dave K
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
January-13-2009
390 Posts
Just had my first beetle recently.  I posted the pic in a different thread.  Never had a full blown infestation, and hope I never will.  I feel for you, and hope not too many sticks were wreaked!

-----------------
Dave

Message posted by frank rivers on December-01-2009 at 09:01 - IP Logged
View frank rivers's Profile Search for other posts by frank rivers Quote frank rivers Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
frank rivers
Standard Member
Standard Member
Canada
July-31-2009
13 Posts

hi jesse,

i have been through the same situation.  In 98' I went to Cuba and came back with 7 boxes of cigars.  When I got back I put all the cigars in my desktop humidor.  A couple of weeks later I noticed those little beetles walking around my humidor.  I did what you did.  Put all my cigars in ziplock bags  and placed them in the freezer for two days.  Then I transferred all the cigars to my fridge for 4 days to slowly get out of the deep freeze.  Then, I left them out at room temperature for a day so the wrappers won't split when I place them in the humidor.  Also, it is very important to wipe down your humidor as to get rid of any beetle larvae that might have fallen off your cigars, so you won't have to go through this all over again.

P.S try to keep the temperature of your humidor below 70 degrees, this will avoid any further hatchings, as beetles hatch in hot temperature

Good luck

Message posted by Jesse 77 on December-03-2009 at 02:30 - IP Logged
View Jesse 77's Profile Search for other posts by Jesse 77 Quote Jesse 77 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Jesse 77
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
November-25-2009
30 Posts
Hey Frank, I have read that some say to use a 50/50 mix of water and ammonia to wipe out the humidors. What did you use ? I just took out the cigars from my freezer and put them in the fridge. So I am going to leave them in there for a day or two and then room temp for a day. I vacuumed out the humidors with a small hand vacuum Then I used the dust off cans to blow out any thing in cracks that are hard to reach. I am going to wipe them out just not sure if I should use distilled water or that mix.

Message posted by frank rivers on December-03-2009 at 07:39 - IP Logged
View frank rivers's Profile Search for other posts by frank rivers Quote frank rivers Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
frank rivers
Standard Member
Standard Member
Canada
July-31-2009
13 Posts

hi Jesse,

sorry, I forgot to mention that I wiped  down my humidor with distilled water.  Haven't seen a beetle since.  I would not recommend any mix with chemicals, ammonia has a very powerful scent, which might be absorbed into your humidor,unless you enjoy smoking cigars that taste like Windex.  Just be patient my friend, its a process that cannot be rushed. 

Take care and let us know how it works out.

Message posted by Dave K on December-04-2009 at 04:43 - IP Logged
View Dave K's Profile Search for other posts by Dave K Quote Dave K Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Dave K
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
January-13-2009
390 Posts
I used an ammonia mix on mine when it happened.  I left the humidor open for a good week and there was no smell left.  I reseasoned it and it has been good to go ever since.  I figured I'd rather make sure those little fuggers were gone for sure.  I haven't noticed any negative flavors in my cigars either.

-----------------
Dave

Message posted by Jesse 77 on December-06-2009 at 01:13 - IP Logged
Jesse 77
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
November-25-2009
30 Posts
Well, I did not use the ammonia mix. I did wipe everything down good with distilled water just kinda like re-seasoning it some sense. I did leave the humidors open during this entire process. I have actually just finished returning all of them to there homes. Everything seems OK for now.
Dave, now you got me wondering if I should have done that ammonia mix just to really kill them off. I assume/hope that after blowing and vacuuming out the boxes and wiping it out good. That they are dead and gone. I really would hate to see another spec crawling around in a week. Then I will be cursing and saying I knew I should have used the ammonia and this wouldn't have happened. I will keep you guys updated over the next month to let you know of any return critters. I am also eager to see how the stogies will bounce back and smoke after such a dramatic experience.

Message posted by Dave K on December-07-2009 at 02:22 - IP Logged
Dave K
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
January-13-2009
390 Posts
You'll probably be fine.  Just keep a close eye on them for a while.

-----------------
Dave

Message posted by skip on July-03-2010 at 01:09 - IP Logged
View skip's Profile Search for other posts by skip Quote skip Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
skip
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
June-30-2010
111 Posts
One thing you can do while infested is vacum. The beetles will die without a food source so if you vacum and wipe down not only the humidor but all surfaces around it they wont have anything to eat.

Message posted by skip on August-19-2010 at 03:03 - IP Logged
View skip's Profile Search for other posts by skip Quote skip Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
skip
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
June-30-2010
111 Posts
Let us not forget this. For anyone who has not had any experience when it comes to beetles that you really need to read this and pay attention. Look up pictures, be informed to save your cigars!

Message posted by kallum on September-06-2010 at 21:34 - IP Logged
View kallum's Profile Search for other posts by kallum Quote kallum Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
kallum
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
August-19-2010
40 Posts
I think this is a really good thread for newbies to read. I had no idea that I should be inspecting my cigars and watching out for these little monsters.

Message posted by xxx01 on September-10-2010 at 16:50 - IP Logged
View xxx01's Profile Search for other posts by xxx01 Quote xxx01 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
xxx01
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United Kingdom
February-02-2007
308 Posts
Beware kallum!
Though actually, if you buy Cubans, beetles are not likely to appear because they freeze all cigars before exporting them from Cuba. However being too careful never hurts, of course.

Message posted by kallum on September-10-2010 at 21:24 - IP Logged
View kallum's Profile Search for other posts by kallum Quote kallum Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
kallum
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
August-19-2010
40 Posts
I think that is another reason to order from MCC. I have never had a problem with my orders and I have never found beetles or anything else wrong with them. I would be afraid to go someplace else that might sell me cigars that could taint everything.

Message posted by Sheila on June-15-2011 at 18:07 - IP Logged
View Sheila's Profile Search for other posts by Sheila Quote Sheila Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Sheila
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
June-03-2011
40 Posts
Thanks for reviving this thread! I had no idea what to do if I ever got tobacco beetles, and now I do. I inspect all cigars first, of course, and hopefully this will never be an issue.

Message posted by fitzgerald on June-17-2011 at 20:01 - IP Logged
View fitzgerald's Profile Search for other posts by fitzgerald Quote fitzgerald Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
fitzgerald
Standard Member
Standard Member

June-14-2011
20 Posts
Wow, what a nightmare. The amount of money and time to take care of this seems enormous. Is there a way to inspect the cigar at time of purchase for potential beetles? Are there any health issues of smoking the cigars? Will tobacco beetles infest anything else in my house? Infestations kind of creep me out as you might be able to note.

Message posted by aBaccus on June-17-2011 at 22:24 - IP Logged
View aBaccus's Profile Search for other posts by aBaccus Quote aBaccus Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
aBaccus
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-26-2011
20 Posts
I am so glad you guys bumped this. I was looking for this thread the other day and could not find it anywhere! I think it is faster and costs lest to just prevent these if you can.

-----------------
To live and learn

Message posted by Camillo on June-27-2011 at 18:38 - IP Logged
View Camillo's Profile Search for other posts by Camillo Quote Camillo Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Camillo
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
February-11-2011
145 Posts
I've never even heard of anything like that! Being a newbie, I'm glad to find out about these things, so that I can pay better attention and prevent an infestation like that.

Message posted by Penelopa on April-02-2014 at 08:09 - IP Logged
View Penelopa's Profile Search for other posts by Penelopa Quote Penelopa Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Penelopa
Gold Member
Gold Member
Spain
March-05-2009
302 Posts
Never had this issue, thanks God! But I heard it could be so bad that you'll have to throw everything you have away, it can't be saved.

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register