Buy Cuban Cigars Online

Think of us as your cigars online shop on the Web! We offer savings on cigars.

cuban man
cuban cigars smoke

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums

Subject Topic: Figurado ring sizes - where to measure Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by RodTheCarGuy on June-11-2013 at 10:51 - IP Logged
View RodTheCarGuy's Profile Search for other posts by RodTheCarGuy Quote RodTheCarGuy Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
RodTheCarGuy
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-04-2012
26 Posts

I have never understood exatly where the ring size is measured on a figurado like a perfecto.  Is it measured at the fattest part of the cigar, or the small end, or where you'd typically hold it with your fingers?

Thanks,

Rod

Message posted by Penelopa on June-12-2013 at 05:03 - IP Logged
View Penelopa's Profile Search for other posts by Penelopa Quote Penelopa Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Penelopa
Gold Member
Gold Member
Spain
March-05-2009
302 Posts
Hi Rod!
Nice to meet you! I hope you like our board and hope to see you more often.

As for the ring gauge, as far as I understand they measure the ring gauge by the upper part of the cigar, after cutting it since many cigars are rounded at the top.

Here's a detailed guide to measuring your cigar. I hope it will be useful:

Instructions

1. Cut your cigar. Because many cigars are rounded and come to a semi point at the end, use a cigar cutter to cut the end. This will give you a nice clean surface to measure.

2. Measure the cut cigar using a ruler. Make sure the ruler uses the "standard" or "American" version of measuring. This means inches, not centimeters.

3. Multiply your reading by 64. For instance is your ruler read 1/2 of an inch, you would multiply 64 times .5 and your result would be 32. If it was 5/8 of an inch your reading would be .625 x 64 and that equals 40, which would be your ring size.

4. Decide which ring size best suits the time you have to smoke your cigar in. While cigars can certainly be re-lit, they are best enjoyed in one sitting. So, ask a professional how long the cigar is expected to burn based both on its ring size and on its length.

Have a happy smoke!

Message posted by RodTheCarGuy on June-12-2013 at 10:57 - IP Logged
View RodTheCarGuy's Profile Search for other posts by RodTheCarGuy Quote RodTheCarGuy Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
RodTheCarGuy
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-04-2012
26 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by Penelopa on June-12-2013
Hi Rod!
Nice to meet you! I hope you like our board and hope to see you more often.

As for the ring gauge, as far as I understand they measure the ring gauge by the upper part of the cigar, after cutting it since many cigars are rounded at the top.

Here's a detailed guide to measuring your cigar. I hope it will be useful:

Instructions

1. Cut your cigar. Because many cigars are rounded and come to a semi point at the end, use a cigar cutter to cut the end. This will give you a nice clean surface to measure.

2. Measure the cut cigar using a ruler. Make sure the ruler uses the "standard" or "American" version of measuring. This means inches, not centimeters.

3. Multiply your reading by 64. For instance is your ruler read 1/2 of an inch, you would multiply 64 times .5 and your result would be 32. If it was 5/8 of an inch your reading would be .625 x 64 and that equals 40, which would be your ring size.

4. Decide which ring size best suits the time you have to smoke your cigar in. While cigars can certainly be re-lit, they are best enjoyed in one sitting. So, ask a professional how long the cigar is expected to burn based both on its ring size and on its length.

Have a happy smoke!

Thanks Penelopa,

I"m familiar with how to measure ring size and what it means, but what I didn't know was with a figurado shape cigar such as a perfecto that is larger at one end than the other (e.g. - larger diameter at the foot of the cigar than the head of the cigar, or sometimes fatter in the middle of the cigar than at either end), where on the cigar do the manufacturers measure the ring size?

In other words, when I read on an Internet page that the ring size of a certain perfecto is 52, I was wondering if the 52 ring size was measured at the fattest part of the cigar (e.g. - the foot of the cigar), or if that 52 ring size was measured at the head of the cigar. 

So if I'm understanding you properly, when I read that a manufacturer has stated that the ring size of a perfecto such as a Cuaba Distinguidos is 52, which seems to taper throughout it's length, the ring size refers to the ring size of where you'd typically CUT the cigar.  Is that correct? 

If yes, in that case, if the ring size where you'd cut the cigar is 52, the ring size of the fattest part of the cigar (near the foot of the cigar) would probably be at least a 60 or even 65.

Is that correct?

Thanks.

Rod 

Message posted by Penelopa on June-13-2013 at 04:01 - IP Logged
View Penelopa's Profile Search for other posts by Penelopa Quote Penelopa Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Penelopa
Gold Member
Gold Member
Spain
March-05-2009
302 Posts
Hello Rod,

I am sorry for not giving you an exact answer to your question. It seems I didn't quite get it from the beginning. And, you know, I was never interested in this matter but your question really roused my curiosity.

Here's what I found on the Web, it's a very brief information but it answers your question, I think:
Perfectos are measured at their thickest point.

Did it help?

Message posted by RodTheCarGuy on June-13-2013 at 10:25 - IP Logged
RodTheCarGuy
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-04-2012
26 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by Penelopa on June-13-2013
Hello Rod,

I am sorry for not giving you an exact answer to your question. It seems I didn't quite get it from the beginning. And, you know, I was never interested in this matter but your question really roused my curiosity.

Here's what I found on the Web, it's a very brief information but it answers your question, I think:
Perfectos are measured at their thickest point.

Did it help?

YES!!  That is exactly what I was looking for.  Sonya from My-Cuban-Cigars also emailed me this morning and told me exactly the same thing.

You folks are all AWESOME!  Thanks!

Rod

Message posted by b0bby on June-21-2013 at 07:57 - IP Logged
View b0bby's Profile Search for other posts by b0bby Quote b0bby Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
b0bby
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
December-16-2008
112 Posts
Hey guys! I'm glad you raised this point as I never thought about it before.
Thank you for sharing that information with us.

Message posted by Fin290672 on December-11-2013 at 05:55 - IP Logged
View Fin290672's Profile Search for other posts by Fin290672 Quote Fin290672 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Fin290672
Standard Member
Standard Member
Germany
November-14-2007
57 Posts
Before even reading Penelopa's correct answer, I already knew the answer. Figurados should be measured at the foot - their thickest point. Or slightly above the foot.

Message posted by smalljack on April-07-2014 at 04:30 - IP Logged
View smalljack's Profile Search for other posts by smalljack Quote smalljack Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
smalljack
Standard Member
Standard Member
Australia
November-04-2013
11 Posts
Thanks for the information, guys. It was really helpful to me and my friends.

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register