Buy Cuban Cigars Online

Think of us as your cigars online shop on the Web! We offer savings on cigars.

cuban man
cuban cigars smoke

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums

Subject Topic: How old are they really? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by slowburn on March-29-2010 at 02:17 - IP Logged
View slowburn's Profile Search for other posts by slowburn Quote slowburn Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
slowburn
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
February-03-2010
74 Posts
Greetings All,

This is my noob question for the week, so please correct me if I'm wrong about all this.  I have read that cuban cigars should be smoked within the first three months of being rolled and/or after they are a year old. The in between time they are in the "sick period".  Now, rewind a bit. After a cigar is rolled it is aged for a short period of time by the factory before it is boxed. After this it is sorted by wrapper color, banded, boxed, and shipped. So the date on the bottom of the box is when it was packaged and not necessarily when it was rolled? So, all cigars are actually older than the date on the box, right? I'm curious if cc are actually older than the box code indicates. I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Message posted by 90milestoCuba on March-29-2010 at 04:11 - IP Logged
View 90milestoCuba's Profile Search for other posts by 90milestoCuba Quote 90milestoCuba Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
90milestoCuba
Gold Member
Gold Member

April-22-2009
128 Posts
I think that is the million dollar question my friend.  Habanos SA is somewhat secretive of their operating procedures, hence the box codes.  Being able to determine the time from the rolling table to the box is anybody's guess.  Habanos.com offers some insight but no specifics.  I would use the information given to me at Habaons.com to determine if a particular stick I am looking at benefited from previous aging and would say the age on the box is approximate.  It's a shot in the dark though and If anyone eles has the 411 on these questions I too would like to know. 

-----------------
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.
--Winston Churchill

Message posted by Dave K on March-29-2010 at 17:10 - IP Logged
View Dave K's Profile Search for other posts by Dave K Quote Dave K Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Dave K
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United States
January-13-2009
390 Posts

Most of what I've read says that Habanos SA does not age their tobacco before rolling.  There is a little bit of aging before boxing, but that is not given any minimum time, in my understanding.  This is the opposite of say a Padron Serie 1926.  Those leaves have been aged a few years before rolling.  Many other non-Cuban cigar companies do this as well.  This then bodes the question, what cigars are good for aging?

When a cigar has been "Pre-aged," it is the general concensus (in what I've read) that more aging doesn't particularly help them.  They may benefit from a couple more years, but will not have the staying power in a decade, because the leaves may be 13 to 15 years old at that time.

Generally, with Cuban cigars, they do not pre-age the tobacco.  There have been a couple in the past, but it is not the general rule.  As such, you have to let the leaves mature and finish curing.  Smoking a really young cigar will generally create an ammonia flavor.  That is the sick period.  Habanos states that their cigars are ready to smoke the day they are shipped, and aging doesn't matter.  Many do smoke very well right off the truck, but others will definitely benefit from some down time.

Getting past the sick period is one of those things that you just have to try a cigar every month or two until they are smoking good again.  Unfortunately different blends, vitola, and marca all play into how long it will take.  So do your personal taste preferences.  6 months to a year is a good rule of thumb if you ask me.  Many people say 2 to 3 years minimum for most CC's though.

-----------------
Dave

Message posted by 90milestoCuba on March-29-2010 at 21:12 - IP Logged
View 90milestoCuba's Profile Search for other posts by 90milestoCuba Quote 90milestoCuba Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
90milestoCuba
Gold Member
Gold Member

April-22-2009
128 Posts

Thanks for the info Dave!  There is a company in Miami that goes into great detail about how they age their leaves 4-7 years before rolling.  Even with this additional aging they don't compare to a Cuban Puro.  I'll stick with the real thing!   Again thanks! 

-----------------
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles with it.
--Winston Churchill

Message posted by Hawaii50 on March-30-2010 at 06:32 - IP Logged
View Hawaii50's Profile Search for other posts by Hawaii50 Quote Hawaii50 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Hawaii50
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
January-08-2010
13 Posts
I've smoke couple vintage cigars with my friends.(70's 80's) I have a friend who buys and sell vintage cigar(thats his living) I didnt really like the taste of it. Like there's no taste at all. I say if you got'um smoke'um. I age/rest my cigars for about a year b4 smoking them. other than that i smoke the cheap one for taste.

Message posted by RoyalCoronas on March-30-2010 at 17:49 - IP Logged
View RoyalCoronas's Profile Search for other posts by RoyalCoronas Quote RoyalCoronas Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
RoyalCoronas
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
February-23-2010
36 Posts
This is interesting and something I never really gave much consideration. I know Cohiba ages some of their 'signature' cigars for a few years, so then I wonder if they are worth it or do they go through some other unique process.

Message posted by smokerhere on January-20-2014 at 04:52 - IP Logged
View smokerhere's Profile Search for other posts by smokerhere Quote smokerhere Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
smokerhere
Standard Member
Standard Member

October-17-2007
161 Posts
I think you can smoke them anytime. It rather a matter of personal preferences whether to smoke freshly rolled or aged cigars.

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register