Buy Cuban Cigars Online

Think of us as your cigars online shop on the Web! We offer savings on cigars.

cuban man
cuban cigars smoke

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  General Discussion

Subject Topic: Good or evil? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Leroy on December-03-2012 at 06:35 - IP Logged
View Leroy's Profile Search for other posts by Leroy Quote Leroy Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Leroy
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-22-2012
40 Posts
I was watching "Return to Lonesome Dove" this weekend. The character Calico Jack is one of the most evil, vile people ever. He looks downright sinister with his cigar in his mouth. Do other characters frequently smoke cigars to show they are evil?

Message posted by corybird on December-04-2012 at 15:37 - IP Logged
View corybird's Profile Search for other posts by corybird Quote corybird Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
corybird
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
February-15-2012
38 Posts
I recall handlebar mustaches and how sinister they were. Occasionally, the character had a cigar hanging out the side of his mouth, too. So, yes, cigar smokers do help convey toughness, and even evil. I love evil characters.

Message posted by Penelopa on April-01-2013 at 17:24 - IP Logged
View Penelopa's Profile Search for other posts by Penelopa Quote Penelopa Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Penelopa
Gold Member
Gold Member
Spain
March-05-2009
302 Posts
Do you think that smoking cigars in a movie is to underline that a character is bad/evil? James Bond was smoking cigars, and he looked and acted like a true hero.

Message posted by TonyC on May-14-2013 at 06:01 - IP Logged
View TonyC's Profile Search for other posts by TonyC Quote TonyC Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Italy
February-09-2007
220 Posts
I think someone may consider cigars as something bad, harmful to someone's health, and, thus, even sinful. That is why bad characters are often smoking cigars, IMO.

Message posted by Clark on June-07-2013 at 06:15 - IP Logged
View Clark's Profile Search for other posts by Clark Quote Clark Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Clark
Gold Member
Gold Member
United Kingdom
April-01-2009
238 Posts
They also have guns to look evil, but cigars do introduce some hints of mystery to a person IMO.

Message posted by RodTheCarGuy on June-07-2013 at 22:51 - IP Logged
View RodTheCarGuy's Profile Search for other posts by RodTheCarGuy Quote RodTheCarGuy Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
RodTheCarGuy
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-04-2012
26 Posts

In movies decades ago, smoking cigarettes was common.  Very rarely will you see a "good guy" smoking cigarettes today.  But if the character is a bad guy, and even if they want to underscore that the character is some version of a socioeconomic scumbag, they'll have him or her smoke cigarettes.

I find that to be more common than using cigar smoking to indicate a bad guy.  Just look at Independence day where Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum focused on smoking a cigar to symbolize victory over the bad guy aliens.

Or Kurt Russell when he played Wyatt Earp in the movie Tombstone, where Wyatt says, "I wouldn't mind one of those cigars..."

Or Liam Neeson as Hannibal Smith in The A Team.  And of course Clint Eastwood in ALL his western moview.

Message posted by smokerhere on August-28-2013 at 05:54 - IP Logged
View smokerhere's Profile Search for other posts by smokerhere Quote smokerhere Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
smokerhere
Standard Member
Standard Member

October-17-2007
161 Posts
Cigars mokers are considered to be more powerful, I think, and power is often associated with evil.

Message posted by b0bby on September-27-2013 at 04:42 - IP Logged
View b0bby's Profile Search for other posts by b0bby Quote b0bby Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
b0bby
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
December-16-2008
112 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by Leroy on December-03-2012
I was watching "Return to Lonesome Dove" this weekend. The character Calico Jack is one of the most evil, vile people ever. He looks downright sinister with his cigar in his mouth. Do other characters frequently smoke cigars to show they are evil?

Mostly cigarettes, I guess, and I really don't understand why those directors try to show a evil person with a cigar in his mouth? Why not choose a pipe or a hookah, or something else?

Message posted by Fin290672 on January-17-2014 at 07:46 - IP Logged
View Fin290672's Profile Search for other posts by Fin290672 Quote Fin290672 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Fin290672
Standard Member
Standard Member
Germany
November-14-2007
57 Posts
Some of them smoke cigarettes, and some of them do not smoke at all. It's the things they do that make them evil. Smoking cigars was more usual for 70's-80's-90's movies.

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register