Buy Cuban Cigars Online

Think of us as your cigars online shop on the Web! We offer savings on cigars.

cuban man
cuban cigars smoke

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Cigar Reviews

Subject Topic: Cigar of the week (cont) Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by kwsaw63 on October-15-2011 at 17:31 - IP Logged
View kwsaw63's Profile Search for other posts by kwsaw63 Quote kwsaw63 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts

The original thread was getting a bit long, so I've decided to start a new one.

I've been fortunate enough to try 3 new cigars over the last few weeks - Partagas 8-9-8 (varnished), H. Upmann No. 2 and Hoyo De Monterrey des Dieux in that order.

The Partagas 8-9-8 is a Dalia (43 ring guage x 170mm long) cigar. It's supposed to be one of the best full bodied cubans and I approached it with an equal mixture of anticipation and trepidation. I decided to pair it with an Armagnac.The construction was good with a deep chocolate wrapper which had a nice sheen to it. The 1st couple of puffs produced smooth creamy smoke but the draw was a bit tight. Flavour-wise it was woody with a hint of sweetness. Luckily it was not as strong as I'd feared, though I did have a bit of a nicotine buzz by the time I reached the last third. Whilst I enjoyed it, I don't think I would try it again. The flavour was good but didn't knock my socks off, the tight draw was annoying and it's a touch more full bodied than I prefer.

The H.Upmann No. 2 is a Piramide (52 x 156mm) and I was interested to see how it stacked up against the similar Partagas Serie P No.2 which is my current favorite cigar. I paired this with a tumbler of Bailey's on the rocks, whilst sitting on the roof terrace of my house. Construction was good with a nice draw that produced mouthfuls of creamy smoke - just the way I like it! This was a nice full bodied cigar that started with earthy flavours that transformed into a nutiness after the 1st third. However, I still prefer the Partagas to this cigar, as the Partagas is a touch milder and the flavours are sweeter and creamier. Again, this is just my personal choice and you may find that your choice is the reverse of mine.

And so to the Hoyo des Dieux which is a Corona Grande (42 x 155mm) cigar. I smoked this at the official Habanos cigar lounge in Singapore, paired with a coke (as I was driving). This is a stronger smoke than most other Hoyo cigars and I would classify it as medium-bodied. Construction was excellent with an even burn throughout and a nice draw that gave me mouthfuls of smoke with each puff. Flavours started off with chocolate, then moved on to cedar and honey. These are the types of flavours I like and the strength was just right. The Hoyo de Dieux is now on my list to buy a box when funds permit!

-----------------
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form." - Winston Churchill

Message posted by Manny on October-16-2011 at 22:19 - IP Logged
View Manny's Profile Search for other posts by Manny Quote Manny Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Manny
Standard Member
Standard Member

October-11-2011
19 Posts
I was looking into buying the Hoyo De Dieux, but I am always afraid I will make a mistake, when I order. Your tastes, sound about like mine, so I am glad you reviewed the Hoyo. Thanks, for easing my fears!

Message posted by Kathryn on October-17-2011 at 02:59 - IP Logged
View Kathryn's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn Quote Kathryn Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Kathryn
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-11-2011
17 Posts
I thought the Partagas 8-9-8, was a bit much, for me. I am a small female, and the buzz kind of left me sick. I vouche for the Hoyo, though. It was an absolutely lovely smoke, when I tried one out.

Message posted by kwsaw63 on October-19-2011 at 10:39 - IP Logged
View kwsaw63's Profile Search for other posts by kwsaw63 Quote kwsaw63 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts
Kathryn - The Partagas 8-9-8 didn't make me sick but I was on the verge of it!

-----------------
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form." - Winston Churchill

Message posted by kwsaw63 on November-11-2011 at 08:20 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts

Was at my local cigar lounge last night and decided to try a Hoyo de Monterrey Churchill. Have never tried a Churchill before and as this one will be discontinued, I thought it best to try it whilst it's still available.

The box was dated Oct 2005, so I was looking forward to a nicely aged cigar. Took the 1st puff and....nothing! The cigar was so badly plugged, no smoke was coming through! Luckily, the staff at the cigar lounge changed it for me but the 2nd stick was almost as bad. For the 1st inch or so, not much smoke was coming through. After that things improved, but I never got the copious amounts of smoke I like until the final third.

Flavour wise, I found the 1st third to be sweet with little spiciness. In the 2nd third, the spice picked up and the sweetness declined. In the final third, I got nutty flavours. Strengthwise, I found this to be a mild smoke, with the strength picking up a bit in the final third.

In conclusion, the severe draw problem significantly detracted from my enjoyment of this cigar. Flavourwise, it was ok but nothing to write home about despite having had 6 years of aging. Perhaps it is a good thing it is being discontinued.

-----------------

Message posted by SamS on November-11-2011 at 14:37 - IP Logged
View SamS's Profile Search for other posts by SamS Quote SamS Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
SamS
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
March-29-2010
69 Posts
How disappointing for you but, as you say, perhaps that's the reason it's bring discontinued. If it was a really flavoursome and popular smoke they'd be mad to get rid of it.

Message posted by CindyT on December-08-2011 at 00:20 - IP Logged
View CindyT's Profile Search for other posts by CindyT Quote CindyT Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
CindyT
Standard Member
Standard Member
United Kingdom
November-28-2011
20 Posts
As I am very new to smoking good cigars, can you please tell me what you mean by the following phrase kwsaw63:  varnished.  Are the Partagas 8-9-8 actually varnished with paint varnish or is it some special type of wrapper.  Sorry to sound so silly but I really want to learn!

Message posted by kwsaw63 on December-09-2011 at 07:58 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts

Cindy - good question! The varnished refers to the box they come in, which is one of the few cigar boxes that are varnished. You may also be interested to know that the 8-9-8 also refers to how the cigars are packaged, as these boxes have curved sides, which allow the cigars to be bundled in 3 layers. The top & bottom layers have 8 cigars and the middle layer has 9 cigars - hence 8-9-8! :)

BTW, there are no silly questions on this forum :)

-----------------

Message posted by kwsaw63 on December-15-2011 at 07:19 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts

Was at my local cigar lounge last night and decided to try the Ramon Allones 2011 limited edition - the Allones Extra.

An interesting point about this vitola, is that it was a standard production item until the 1970s and to mark this, Habanos has used a Ramon Allones band from that era. It certainly gave the cigar a rustic look.

The Allones Extra is a large cigar at 5.6" x 44 ring gauge and it gave me about an hour and 20 minutes of smoking pleasure. The construction of the cigar was good with a nice wrapper, good draw and even burn. I did have to relight at the start of the last third but that was my own fault, as I was too busy talking with a friend.

Flavour wise, the start was creamy with cedar and hints of dark chocolate. It went well with the latte that I was drinking. It stayed that way until the last third, when it got spicier and nutty flavours began to dominate. I would classify this cigar as full bodied which is in consistent with the Ramon Allones brand.

Overall, this was a nice cigar which I enjoyed. However, at a 65% premium over the Ramon Allones Specially Selected, which is one of my favorite cigars, I have to question it's value.

Ramon_Allones_Extra_Edicion_Limitada_2011

-----------------

Message posted by xxx01 on December-20-2011 at 15:11 - IP Logged
View xxx01's Profile Search for other posts by xxx01 Quote xxx01 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
xxx01
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United Kingdom
February-02-2007
308 Posts
Great thread!
I was looking at the Allones Extra too and am still considering getting myself a box. I will probably do so if I catch it on sale here.

kwsaw63, did you have a chance to try Partagas D No.5 that is now in regular production? I wonder if there's any difference with it's analogue from LE 2008.

Message posted by kwsaw63 on December-21-2011 at 16:05 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts
No I haven't tried the Partagas Serie D No. 5 in either the LE or current production formats. Sorry.

-----------------

Message posted by xxx01 on December-26-2011 at 11:56 - IP Logged
View xxx01's Profile Search for other posts by xxx01 Quote xxx01 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
xxx01
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
United Kingdom
February-02-2007
308 Posts
Ok. I got a box of PSD5 (regular line), they are resting in my humidor now, waiting for the right moment to be smoked
Detailed report will follow!

Message posted by kwsaw63 on December-26-2011 at 13:38 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by xxx01 on December-26-2011
Ok. I got a box of PSD5 (regular line), they are resting in my humidor now, waiting for the right moment to be smoked
Detailed report will follow!

Looking forward to your report :)

-----------------

Message posted by Fabs on December-26-2011 at 14:58 - IP Logged
View Fabs's Profile Search for other posts by Fabs Quote Fabs Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Fabs
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
September-27-2011
50 Posts
Kwsaw63- How matured were the Hoyo des Dieux that you reviewed here. It's my understanding that these are at their peek at around 5 years. Do you have any insight?

Message posted by kwsaw63 on December-26-2011 at 19:23 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by Fabs on December-26-2011
Kwsaw63- How matured were the Hoyo des Dieux that you reviewed here. It's my understanding that these are at their peek at around 5 years. Do you have any insight?

Sorry I don't know how aged it was but it was probably 3 years or less.

-----------------

Message posted by kwsaw63 on January-19-2012 at 08:55 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts

Was at my local cigar lounge last night and tried a new release - the H.Upmann Half Corona.

This was a nice looking cigar and was well constructed. The draw was good, with a slight resistance but still producing mouthfuls of creamy smoke. The burn was even and no touch-ups were required. Flavour profile was typical H.Upmann with leather and wood predominating. It got a bit harsh at the end and suggested that a year or 2 of aging would pay dividends

Overall, a pleasant 30 min smoke for fans of H.Upmann.

-----------------

Message posted by JustRoll on January-22-2012 at 01:25 - IP Logged
View JustRoll's Profile Search for other posts by JustRoll Quote JustRoll Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
JustRoll
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
January-20-2012
27 Posts
I was fascinated to learn that the shape of the cigar box and whether or not it added to the allure of an individual cigar made a difference. Someone new to cigar smoking has a lot to learn about quality and variety.

Message posted by kwsaw63 on January-26-2012 at 07:59 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts

Another week, another cigar

Last night I had a Hoyo De Monterrey Epicure No. 1. This is a Corona Gorda size (143 x 46) cigar which promised to be an enjoyable 90 minute smoke. This is a cigar that doesn't require much aging and is a decent smoke even when young (probably because this is a light bodied cigar).

The 1st third yielded sweet, creamy & floral flavors. Went well with the latte I was drinking. In the 2nd third, the sweetness died down a touch but it was still floral & creamy, with hints of cedar/wood. In the final third, the flavour became more nutty but still with a hint of sweetness.

This is a good choice for someone looking for a long leisurely smoke but not wanting to be overwhelmed by the cigar's strength.

-----------------

Message posted by kwsaw63 on January-31-2012 at 09:33 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts

Decided to treat myself this week, so I picked out a Cohiba Maduro 5 Magico from a 2008 box in my coolidor. The Cohiba Maduro 5 range is made with a Maduro wrapper that has been aged for 5 years and the Magico is 115 x 52 in size.

The wrapper is a beautiful very dark brown colour, with a nice oily sheen to it. Construction wise, there was a bit of a hard spot near the cap which restricted the draw somewhat.

The first few mouthfuls delivered a sweet chocolate & coffee flavour which stayed throughout the smoke, varying in intensity as you progressed through the cigar. There are also hints of vanilla & honey with some light spice.

Overall, this is a cigar I always enjoy and I still have 22 sticks left which I intend to keep as special treats for my self over the next few years.

-----------------

Message posted by Clark on January-31-2012 at 16:20 - IP Logged
View Clark's Profile Search for other posts by Clark Quote Clark Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Clark
Gold Member
Gold Member
United Kingdom
April-01-2009
238 Posts
Hi kwsaw63 and other members of this forum, I'd like to thank kwsaw63 for his great reviews. I feel sorry I didn't notice them earlier...What was I thinking about?

Once again thank you for taking your time and posting this for us. And now I hesitate, I don't know what to choose from this lovely list - I like Cohiba and Hoyo de Monterrey but feel sorry I cannot afford both of them right now
Anyway, thank you once again - I'll be reading you again