Buy Cuban Cigars Online

Think of us as your cigars online shop on the Web! We offer savings on cigars.

cuban man
cuban cigars smoke

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Cigar Reviews

Subject Topic: Cigar of the week (cont) Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by kwsaw63 on February-15-2012 at 04:57 - IP Logged
View kwsaw63's Profile Search for other posts by kwsaw63 Quote kwsaw63 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts

This week, I had a Jose Le Piedra Cazadores. This is a very affordable cigar that can be smoked on a regular basis without breaking the bank. You can buy a bundle of 25 from this site for just $55. Together, with the Quintero Nacionales & RyJ Mille Fleurs, the JLP Cazadores is my regular "everyday" smoke.

At $2.20 a stick, do not expect to be wowed by a fantastic looking cigar or complex flavours. What you do get is tremendous value for money. Construction is decent with a dark, rustic looking wrapper. In general, burn and draw are ok but I have encountered a few sticks with a tight draw (perhaps 1 in 10).

Despite being fairly young (April 2011), there was no harshness, with each puff giving smooth flavours of wood, with hints of chocolate. The flavours do not really change as you progress through the cigar but it's still an enjoyable 60-90 minute smoke.

-----------------
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form." - Winston Churchill

Message posted by kwsaw63 on February-15-2012 at 05:04 - IP Logged
View kwsaw63's Profile Search for other posts by kwsaw63 Quote kwsaw63 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by Clark on January-31-2012
Hi kwsaw63 and other members of this forum, I'd like to thank kwsaw63 for his great reviews. I feel sorry I didn't notice them earlier...What was I thinking about?

Once again thank you for taking your time and posting this for us. And now I hesitate, I don't know what to choose from this lovely list - I like Cohiba and Hoyo de Monterrey but feel sorry I cannot afford both of them right now
Anyway, thank you once again - I'll be reading you again

Clark - thank you for your kind words :)

I would choose the Hoyo Des Dieux over the Cohiba Magicos, as I think it's better value. However, the Hoyo Des Dieux does need to be aged 3-5 years to give of it's best. If you lack patience to age them, then I suggest you go with the Hoyo Epicure #1. These are good to go after resting them in your humidor for a month or 2

-----------------
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form." - Winston Churchill

Message posted by kwsaw63 on March-09-2012 at 05:02 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts

It was my birthday last week and I went down to my local cigar lounge to treat myself to a Juan Lopez Seleccion No.1 as I had heard good things about it. This is a Corona Gorda size cigar (5.6" x 46) and was well constructed with a good draw and even burn throughout.

The first third was smooth with woody & spicy flavours. It then evolved to a more earthy flavour with hints of coffee. I would rate this as a medium to full bodied (and leaning more to the "full" side of the spectrum) cigar and I got a bit of a nicotine buzz when I hit the last third.

Overall this was a nice cigar but a bit stronger than what I prefer.

-----------------

Message posted by kwsaw63 on March-17-2012 at 05:16 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts
Was at an off-site meeting this week and fortuItously, the meeting venue was next to one of my regular cigar lounges. We finished earlier than expected and I headed off to have a pre-dinner cigar & drink with a colleague.
As it was pre-dinner I opted for a Hoyo Petit Robusto and paired it with a coke. The Hoyo Petit Robusto is one of my favorite short smokes and this one proved to be no exception. Construction was good, with a nice colorado wrapper, good draw and even burn.
The 1st couple of puffs was surprisingly of bitter chocolate rather than the milk chocolate I'd been expecting. However, the milk chocolate quickly put in an appearence and the rest of the 30 mins was a pleasant haze of cream, chocolate and coffee.
The Hoyo Petit Robusto re-affirmed why it is one of the best short smokes, especially if you like milder bodied cigars.

-----------------

Message posted by kwsaw63 on March-22-2012 at 19:16 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts
Tonight I was fortunate enough to have a 2003 San Cristobal La Punta. The construction was flawless with a perfect draw and even burn throughout.

Given it had 9 years of age, it was very smooth but I felt the age had muted its flavour somewhat. Still it was a very pleasant 80 minute smoke :)

-----------------

Message posted by kwsaw63 on July-24-2012 at 12:28 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts

I recently ordered a box of Trinidad Fundadores which I intend to age for a bit as the box is relatively young (APR 11). I sampled a stick just to check and to establish a baseline.

I first had a Fundadores back in 2000, when it was relatively new, and it blew me away with it's smoothness and flavour. Every stick I've had since then has never disappointed but it's not been a box purchase for me until now, due to it's price.

Lighting up this Fundadores was like taking a walk down memory lane. The smoothness and flavour were all there - creamy cafe au lait comes to mind, with hints of mocca and vanilla. Construction was flawless with a nice draw and even burn.

Will try another stick in 3-6 months time and see if the additional humidor time has made any difference.

-----------------

Message posted by Clark on July-24-2012 at 15:46 - IP Logged
View Clark's Profile Search for other posts by Clark Quote Clark Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Clark
Gold Member
Gold Member
United Kingdom
April-01-2009
238 Posts
Thank you for the brief but always to the point review, kwsaw63!
I never had a full box of Fundadores myself but was lucky enough to receive it as a gift from a close friend. The cigar came from a box dated 2009, and it was awesome! Enjoyed every second I smoked it, and was highly disappointed when it finally came to end

Message posted by kwsaw63 on July-26-2012 at 05:14 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts
Clark - The Fundadores is pricey but I think it is worth it. Get the box of 12 if the box of 24 is a bit too much. You won't regret it!

-----------------

Message posted by kwsaw63 on August-22-2012 at 17:18 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts
Last night I had a Ramon Allones Celestiales Finos, which is a 2009 Asia-Pacific 2009 RE. It is a perfecto of approx. corona size.

Appearancd wise it had a nice dark wrapper with few veins and a slightly oily sheen. The first few puffs revealed a nice draw with copious amounts of smoke. Flavour wise I got grass with nice tones of coffee & cream. Unfortunately, after the 1st third, the draw got very tight and I had to massage it to get any smoke out of it.

Depite the draw problems, the burn was razor sharp and no relights were needed. I ended up nubbing it as the flavors were very enjoyable. Will try another one again to see if the draw problem is endemic.

-----------------

Message posted by GiveMeaLight on November-04-2012 at 04:06 - IP Logged
View GiveMeaLight's Profile Search for other posts by GiveMeaLight Quote GiveMeaLight Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
GiveMeaLight
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
October-30-2012
13 Posts
So far my favorite cigars are the Ramones and the Cohibas. I'm open to trying new textures and flavors. Sometimes I like fruity. Other times I'm into woodier flavors. It all depends on the season, the weather and my own mood at the time.

Message posted by Maisey on November-12-2012 at 02:15 - IP Logged
View Maisey's Profile Search for other posts by Maisey Quote Maisey Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Maisey
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-22-2012
37 Posts
I recently gave my father a few of the Partagas 8-9-8 Dalia cigars. He had expressed interest in them, so I surprised him. Needless to say, he did enjoy them and agrees they are quite interesting. While he would not smoke them every day, he has put in his order for another few down the road. He likes the woody flavor, but they are a little stronger than he prefers over the long run.

Message posted by kwsaw63 on April-23-2013 at 11:57 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts

Found a box of 2006 Diplomaticos No. 1 at my regular cigar lounge and I've been enjoying a few sticks from it

This cigar was discountinued in 2006, so this box was probably amongst the last to be rolled. The cigar is a Cervantes which is 6.5" x 42 RG. It is a classic size which we are, unfortunately, seeing less of with the current trend of short fat smokes.

The Dippy #1 is a mild-medium smoke which is what I personally like. With 6 years of age on it, this is a nice smooth smoke with no harshness whatsoever. Flavours are of a creamy milk coffee with a touch of sweetness on the finish. Overall, this is an excellent 60-80 mins smoke...such a pity it has been discontinued.

-----------------

Message posted by kwsaw63 on November-07-2013 at 19:24 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts
Not posted here for a while, so thought I would update on some recent smokes.

One of my favourite new smokes is the Rafael Gonzalez Perlas. This is a minuto size (4.0" x 40) cigar that was recently released in 2012. I have smoked about 5 so far and every one has been flawless in it's construction with a perfect draw and even burn.

Flavour wise, this is one delicious little stick which tastes like a cappuccino with chocolate, coffee and cream predominating. A medium bodied smoke, this goes well with a coffee or even a hot chocolate!

-----------------

Message posted by kwsaw63 on November-07-2013 at 19:37 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts
The RG Perlas older brother is the Rafael Gonzalez Panatelas Extra. This is a 5.0" x 36 cigar that costs less than the Perlas as it's made with short filler tobacco.

Nevertheless, I enjoy the flavour profile of this cigar as it's sweet & floral. Mild to medium in body, this is a good daytime cigar or if you just want a shorter smoke in the evenings. The negative aspect of the Panatelas Extra is construction can be poor and it's not uncommon to have cigars with tight draws.

If you like cigars with a floral, coffee & cream flavour profile, the Panatelas Extra are a great value buy. However, if you can afford to I would recommend paying a bit more for the Perlas to avoid the poor construction issues which can detract from your smoking pleasure.

-----------------

Message posted by Clark on November-08-2013 at 05:33 - IP Logged
View Clark's Profile Search for other posts by Clark Quote Clark Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Clark
Gold Member
Gold Member
United Kingdom
April-01-2009
238 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by kwsaw63 on November-07-2013
If you like cigars with a floral, coffee & cream flavour profile, the Panatelas Extra are a great value buy. However, if you can afford to I would recommend paying a bit more for the Perlas to avoid the poor construction issues which can detract from your smoking pleasure.

So does the rule of "the more expensive, the better" apply to Perlas, kwsaw63?

Message posted by kwsaw63 on November-13-2013 at 01:37 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by Clark on November-08-2013
Quote: Originally posted by kwsaw63 on November-07-2013

So does the rule of "the more expensive, the better" apply to Perlas, kwsaw63?

In this case yes. Construction on the Perlas was much better.

-----------------

Message posted by kwsaw63 on January-28-2014 at 22:52 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts
I recently had a Punch Coronation. This is a Petit Corona sized cigar that is packed in aluminium tubes. It is a mild to medium bodied smoke which tastes of sweet wood with a nice fruity/citrus twang to keep things interesting. Construction of the stick I smoked was impeccable with an even burn and good draw.

Overall, a nice everyday smoke at a decent price point.

-----------------

Message posted by kwsaw63 on March-19-2014 at 00:59 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts
I recently had a Por Larranaga Montecarlos, a cigar that is not that well known, which is a shame as I reckon this is a lovely cigar that should be in everyone's humi.

It's a long & skinny cigar measuring 159mm long with a 33 Ring Gauge. They were originally machine made but have been handmade since 2002.

The cigar I smoked for this review came from a May 2013 box, so it was still quite young. However, it was already beautifully smooth with typical Por Larranaga caramel flavour. For such a skinny cigar, the smoke output was amazing and the draw was perfect.

A mild cigar it can enjoyed at anytime of the day and makes for a great 30-45 minute smoke.

-----------------

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register