Buy Cuban Cigars Online

Think of us as your cigars online shop on the Web! We offer savings on cigars.

cuban man
cuban cigars smoke

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Cigar Reviews

Subject Topic: Do you find Monte #2 a tight draw? Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by RodTheCarGuy on June-08-2013 at 11:46 - IP Logged
View RodTheCarGuy's Profile Search for other posts by RodTheCarGuy Quote RodTheCarGuy Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
RodTheCarGuy
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-04-2012
26 Posts

The Montecristo #2 has been my favorite Cuban cigar for several years, however it seems that very often the draw is too tight for me.  The reason I like a pyramid shaped cigar is that I don't like to cut much off the tip.  I like the feel of the tapered tip as I puff.  But if the draw is too tight, and you end up having to cut a lot of the pyramid shape off the cigar to open it up a lot, what's the point?

I like a medium draw.  A loose draw is a disappointment -- I've never found that with a Monte #2, but a tight draw is just too much darned work.

I never understood cigar awls.  They simply open up a hole in the cigar by and break the wrapper.  We need something that will actually remove some internal tobacco to loosen without spreading the cigar and cracking the wrapper.

I'm a dentist and involved in dental research, so I've got some pretty neat tools.  I have a few cigar awls that I've customized to make thin with backward-facing barbs.  So I can gently tease in the very thin awl, rotate the awl as I insert it, a little at a time, and when pulling it out it removes tobacco similar to how a cheese grater removes cheese.  I keep doing this over and over as I get the awl deeper and deeper.

To get what is an ideal draw for me, I end up having to do this with about 2/3's of all my Monte #2's. 

The purpose of this post is to see if others have found the same tight draw on the majority of their Montecristo #2's.

Thanks.

Rod

Message posted by TonyC on June-10-2013 at 07:21 - IP Logged
View TonyC's Profile Search for other posts by TonyC Quote TonyC Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Italy
February-09-2007
220 Posts
Hello RodTheCarGuy,

I see you have a problem here. I feel really sorry for you, we all know how a bad draw could ruin our hopes.
Unfortunately, I had only two Monte #2 in my life, and they both were great!
By the way, I liked your idea with the customized awls. I really don't like the original ones since they are not as thin as I'd like them to be.

Message posted by RodTheCarGuy on June-10-2013 at 10:05 - IP Logged
View RodTheCarGuy's Profile Search for other posts by RodTheCarGuy Quote RodTheCarGuy Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
RodTheCarGuy
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-04-2012
26 Posts

Thanks Tony.

Over the weekend, I spent some time on the Internet researching Cuban cigars, especially the Monte #2.  As it turns out, it seems that the Monte #2s do have a history of being a very firm construction.

What I saw on the Internet was several photos of people holding lit Monte #2's, and they all had been aggressively cut.  So much that the pyramid shape was entirely gone.  My bet is that they cut their Monte #2s so aggressively to ease the draw.

At least with my "customized" awls, I can very easily lighten up the draw and still not cut the cigar too aggressively.

Thanks for replying Tony.

Rod

Message posted by Penelopa on June-12-2013 at 05:42 - IP Logged
View Penelopa's Profile Search for other posts by Penelopa Quote Penelopa Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Penelopa
Gold Member
Gold Member
Spain
March-05-2009
302 Posts
Hey guys!

It's a pity to hear that your Montes #2 all had tight draw, RodTheCarGuy. From what I've heard, people are always happy with their #2s, this is one of the most valued cigars in the cigar world.
Is it possible that your cigars all came from a bad batch, and you were unlucky enough to smoke cigars from one crop?

Message posted by RodTheCarGuy on June-12-2013 at 11:07 - IP Logged
RodTheCarGuy
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-04-2012
26 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by Penelopa on June-12-2013
Hey guys!

It's a pity to hear that your Montes #2 all had tight draw, RodTheCarGuy. From what I've heard, people are always happy with their #2s, this is one of the most valued cigars in the cigar world.
Is it possible that your cigars all came from a bad batch, and you were unlucky enough to smoke cigars from one crop?

No.  I've been ordering Monte #2's for the past ten years.  When I see other cigar smokers cut the pyramid/torpedo/bellicoso shape cigars, most cut most of the tapered part off.  I, on the other hand, like to cut the tapered part by only about 50%.  So the diameter of the cut portion of the cigar is smaller, and also seems to be more tightly packed.

Every single box of Monte #2's that I've ever ordered has been tighly packed -- I've had to loosen up about 80% of every box I've ever ordered.  On the other hand, I've smoked most of the other Cuban bellicoso shape brands and have not found them to be nearly as tight of a draw, even though I've cut them the same way.

But again, for years I've read things where it's been stated that the Cuban Monte #2's are known for being rather a tight draw.  And as I mentioned above, this last weekend I spent a couple hours investigating this on the internet and found numerous mentions by 'cigar experts" stating that the Cuban Monte #2's are known for their tighter draw.

Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE my Monte #2's, and I've customized my own cigar awls with numerous barbs on the sides of the awls so that it's really easy for me to loosen the cigars up.  And I've made the tips of the awls so very thin that I can insert the awl, spin the awl so that the barbs cut off some of the tobacco, and work them into the cigar without breaking the wrapper.  I'm a dentist, so I have a lot of the fine tools that I needed to customize my awls.  It's actually rather fun.

So I'm not at all disappointed in my Monte #2's -- I was simply curious what others have found.

Thanks so much for your replies.

Rod 

Message posted by Penelopa on June-13-2013 at 08:02 - IP Logged
View Penelopa's Profile Search for other posts by Penelopa Quote Penelopa Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Penelopa
Gold Member
Gold Member
Spain
March-05-2009
302 Posts
Well, it seems that I should definitely smoke a couple of Monte's #2 from different batches to be able to give or ask for advice.
Anyway, I'm happy that you found a way to solve your problem. Is anyone here with the same issue?
I would love to know what kwsaw63 thinks about this. He's one of our oldest forum members and has a great smoking experience.

Message posted by kwsaw63 on June-17-2013 at 00:29 - IP Logged
View kwsaw63's Profile Search for other posts by kwsaw63 Quote kwsaw63 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts

I'm not a big fan of Monte 2's so I've only smoked 2 or 3. However I've not had any issues with a tight draw on the ones I've smoked.

I have smoked a lot of Partagas Serie P No. 2 though and again I've not had a problem with a tight draw. I usually cut my Piramides about 2/3rds up from the tip, which sounds like a fuller cut than Rod's. My guess is that Rod's draw problem is due to his not cutting enough off the tip.

Rod - why don't you try cutting 2/3rds up from the tip? That should eleminate your draw problem, whilst still keeping the tip still tapered.

-----------------
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form." - Winston Churchill

Message posted by Penelopa on June-17-2013 at 09:57 - IP Logged
Penelopa
Gold Member
Gold Member
Spain
March-05-2009
302 Posts
Thank you for your help, kwsaw63! I knew you'd be helpful, as you always are.

Message posted by RodTheCarGuy on June-17-2013 at 12:12 - IP Logged
RodTheCarGuy
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-04-2012
26 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by kwsaw63 on June-17-2013

I'm not a big fan of Monte 2's so I've only smoked 2 or 3. However I've not had any issues with a tight draw on the ones I've smoked.

I have smoked a lot of Partagas Serie P No. 2 though and again I've not had a problem with a tight draw. I usually cut my Piramides about 2/3rds up from the tip, which sounds like a fuller cut than Rod's. My guess is that Rod's draw problem is due to his not cutting enough off the tip.

Rod - why don't you try cutting 2/3rds up from the tip? That should eleminate your draw problem, whilst still keeping the tip still tapered.

Thanks.  I've actually tried that, and it always does help a little, but still, for me at least, a draw that's too tight.  As I mentioned, I find this on about 2/3 of the Monte #2s that I've had.  Since I like the Monte #2s, I've probably had a few hundred over the past decade.

With everything that I've read on the Internet regarding others having the same issue with a tight draw with Monte #2s, I'm surprised that nobody on this forum has had that issue.

Anyway, since I have customized three of my cigar awls so that they don't stretch out and crack the wrapper, and instead have barbs to tease out some of the tobacco to ease up the draw, and since I only like to remove probably 45-50% of the pyramid shape portion of the head, I just spend probably 60 seconds with my cigar awl each time I get one with a tighter draw.

By the way, two nights ago I smoked the first of the box of 25 Monte #2s that I just received from MyCubanCigars, and it was HEAVEN. 

By the way kwsaw63, I'm interested to know why you don't care for the Monte #2s, and I'd also love to know which three Cuban cigars are YOUR favorites.

Thanks for your efforts to help on this forum.

Very best,

Rod

Message posted by kwsaw63 on June-26-2013 at 04:02 - IP Logged
View kwsaw63's Profile Search for other posts by kwsaw63 Quote kwsaw63 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts

The Monte 2 flavour profile is just not to my taste. Nothing wrong with it and lots of people like it but it's not for me.

Amongst the regular production cuban cigars my favorites are:-

• Hoyo de Monterrey Petit Robusto
  • Trinidad Fundadores
  • Partagas P2

-----------------
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form." - Winston Churchill

Message posted by RodTheCarGuy on June-26-2013 at 23:22 - IP Logged
RodTheCarGuy
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
May-04-2012
26 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by kwsaw63 on June-26-2013

The Monte 2 flavour profile is just not to my taste. Nothing wrong with it and lots of people like it but it's not for me.

Amongst the regular production cuban cigars my favorites are:-

• Hoyo de Monterrey Petit Robusto
  • Trinidad Fundadores
  • Partagas P2

Thanks.  I will put those on my list to try.

Right now I'm smoking my first Cuaba Distinguados from the two boxes of 10 that I recently received from MyCubanCigars.

I don't like it as much as the Monte #2's, but it's definitely very nice.

I smoked my first Cuaba Divinos last Sunday and really enjoyed that.

Rod

Message posted by smokerhere on August-30-2013 at 05:09 - IP Logged
View smokerhere's Profile Search for other posts by smokerhere Quote smokerhere Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
smokerhere
Standard Member
Standard Member

October-17-2007
161 Posts
I hear you, Rod. A good No. 2 is great, a bad one is almost the biggest dissapointment, especially if you were geared up for a great cigar.

Message posted by Carlos on October-07-2013 at 05:07 - IP Logged
View Carlos's Profile Search for other posts by Carlos Quote Carlos Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Carlos
Standard Member
Standard Member
Mexico
August-12-2013
27 Posts
RodTheCarGuy, have you bought the Monte #2 in the box of 25 or 10 cigars?

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register