Buy Cuban Cigars Online

Think of us as your cigars online shop on the Web! We offer savings on cigars.

cuban man
cuban cigars smoke

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Humidors and Cigar Storage

Subject Topic: Wood Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Dallas on January-17-2012 at 22:43 - IP Logged
View Dallas's Profile Search for other posts by Dallas Quote Dallas Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Dallas
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
January-17-2012
44 Posts
Does the wood that a humidor is made from make a difference or any changes to the cigars? In other words, does it affect taste over a period of time?

Message posted by kwsaw63 on January-18-2012 at 05:24 - IP Logged
View kwsaw63's Profile Search for other posts by kwsaw63 Quote kwsaw63 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts

Externally, it doesn't affect your cigars. What's important is the interior lining.

"When it comes to interior lining, the best material is Spanish Cedar. It's absorbent, so it regulates at 60%-70% along with your cigars, and beetles hate its bitter taste, so it discourages infestations. What's more, it will give your cigars a slightly spicy flavor - a taste prized by most cigar-lovers" (cigars4dummies.com)

-----------------
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form." - Winston Churchill

Message posted by Clark on January-18-2012 at 17:08 - IP Logged
View Clark's Profile Search for other posts by Clark Quote Clark Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Clark
Gold Member
Gold Member
United Kingdom
April-01-2009
238 Posts
Yeah, I like cedar wood a lot - it has nice aroma and lasts for long. The best wood for your little Cuban fellows

Message posted by Winchester on January-27-2012 at 19:08 - IP Logged
View Winchester's Profile Search for other posts by Winchester Quote Winchester Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Winchester
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
April-16-2010
102 Posts
This is good to know and something I'd never considered before. I'm getting ready to buy my first humidor so I'll be on the lookout for one with cedar lining.

Message posted by Groundhog on August-30-2012 at 12:16 - IP Logged
View Groundhog's Profile Search for other posts by Groundhog Quote Groundhog Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Groundhog
Standard Member
Standard Member
Australia
October-21-2010
39 Posts
By the way, the wall thickness matters as well - thick walls provide a better buffer between the ambient air and your cigars. This will protect your cigars from rapid humidity and temperature changes.

-----------------
The world is not enough.....

Message posted by TonyC on September-17-2012 at 17:56 - IP Logged
View TonyC's Profile Search for other posts by TonyC Quote TonyC Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
TonyC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Italy
February-09-2007
220 Posts
The correct wood is important but the seal between the lid and box also affects whether the humidor maintains the correct humidity.

Message posted by Clingfree on November-16-2012 at 22:04 - IP Logged
View Clingfree's Profile Search for other posts by Clingfree Quote Clingfree Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Clingfree
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
November-16-2012
19 Posts
So, if we check out the wood and the seals, what else do we need to put on our list before we give a humidor a good seal of approval?

Message posted by Penelopa on September-09-2013 at 05:16 - IP Logged
View Penelopa's Profile Search for other posts by Penelopa Quote Penelopa Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Penelopa
Gold Member
Gold Member
Spain
March-05-2009
302 Posts
They say the cedar wood is the best for humidors, so be careful when you are looking for a humidor. The other materials are not considered half as good as this wood.

Message posted by TamPow on September-18-2013 at 03:02 - IP Logged
View TamPow's Profile Search for other posts by TamPow Quote TamPow Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
TamPow
Standard Member
Standard Member

July-26-2007
61 Posts
Of course, it does affect the taste of the cigars with years - you cannot make a wooden item last forever. However, you could choose the correct type of wood which will serve you as long as it is possible and will not only keep your cigars in a proper condition, but also make them age and taste better. And the correct answer would be the Spanish cedar as everyone else have mentioned before.

-----------------
if you just want to think, there's nothing better than taking a good cigar

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register