Buy Cuban Cigars Online

Think of us as your cigars online shop on the Web! We offer savings on cigars.

cuban man
cuban cigars smoke

Welcome Guest Register Login Search The Forum Display List of Forum Members
 All Forums
  Humidors and Cigar Storage

Subject Topic: Humidor v. coolidor Post Reply Post New Topic
Message posted by Winchester on January-31-2012 at 02:42 - IP Logged
View Winchester's Profile Search for other posts by Winchester Quote Winchester Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Winchester
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
April-16-2010
102 Posts
I hate to sound like such a newb, but what it the difference between a humidor and a coolidor? In what cases do you need a coolidor instead of a humidor?

Message posted by kwsaw63 on January-31-2012 at 09:17 - IP Logged
View kwsaw63's Profile Search for other posts by kwsaw63 Quote kwsaw63 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts

Both humidors and coolidors are essentially airtight containers in which to store cigars at a constant humidity. The main differences are that Humidors are purpose built and usually from wood. Coolidors are cooler boxes that have been adapted for the storage of cigars.

Coolidors are cheaper than humidors and are a value for money way of storing large quantities of cigars. A lot of people have a coolidor where they store boxes of cigars for aging, whilst still having a humidor where they keep the cigars that they want to smoke.

-----------------
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form." - Winston Churchill

Message posted by Dallas on February-06-2012 at 21:53 - IP Logged
View Dallas's Profile Search for other posts by Dallas Quote Dallas Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Dallas
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
January-17-2012
44 Posts
So, basically you would store a bunch of cigars in a coolidor and then move several over to the humidor for more immediate smoking? That's interesting. I never really knew what a coolidor was either. Thanks for clearing that up, kwsaw.

Message posted by Winchester on February-07-2012 at 23:12 - IP Logged
View Winchester's Profile Search for other posts by Winchester Quote Winchester Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Winchester
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
April-16-2010
102 Posts
Wait, are we talking about an actual cooler that is converted for cigar storage? Do they sell conversion kits or is it something that can be done with materials on hand?

Message posted by kwsaw63 on February-08-2012 at 16:52 - IP Logged
View kwsaw63's Profile Search for other posts by kwsaw63 Quote kwsaw63 Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts

Winchester - yes we are. There aren't any conversion kits but it's very easy to convert a cooler into a coolidor. The main steps are:-

• wipe down and air the cooler to get rid of any plastic smell
  • Line the cooler with cedar (optional)
  • Put in a hygrometer and humidity beads/humidifier

.....and you have a coolidor!

-----------------
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form." - Winston Churchill

Message posted by Winchester on February-08-2012 at 22:49 - IP Logged
Winchester
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
April-16-2010
102 Posts
That's just crazy! I am so going to make one of these this weekend. And in case you're wondering, I am definitely going to opt for the cedar lining!

Message posted by Dallas on February-09-2012 at 01:52 - IP Logged
View Dallas's Profile Search for other posts by Dallas Quote Dallas Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Dallas
Standard Member
Standard Member
United States
January-17-2012
44 Posts
I think I would go for the cedar lining too. It's not that expensive and I think it would add a nice touch. Plus, I've had trouble with that plastic-y odor and taste before even when I went to great lengths to air out a cooler.

Message posted by smokerhere on October-10-2012 at 17:37 - IP Logged
View smokerhere's Profile Search for other posts by smokerhere Quote smokerhere Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
smokerhere
Standard Member
Standard Member

October-17-2007
161 Posts
I've never heard of coolidors! Funny.

Message posted by Camillo on October-15-2012 at 12:04 - IP Logged
View Camillo's Profile Search for other posts by Camillo Quote Camillo Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Camillo
Gold Member
Gold Member
United States
February-11-2011
145 Posts
I've never heard of a coolidor, but from the description, I feel like I would still prefer a humidor. I like the flavor that you get, when you've properly stored your cigar in a humidor.

Message posted by rowleytyrese on December-03-2012 at 08:36 - IP Logged
View rowleytyrese's Profile Search for other posts by rowleytyrese Quote rowleytyrese Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
rowleytyrese
Standard Member
Standard Member
Canada
December-03-2012
4 Posts
Does your cigar ever have that not so fresh feeling? If it does, one reason may be because it does not contain enough humidity, a problem that leaves a cigar dry and stale.

Message posted by kwsaw63 on December-04-2012 at 10:48 - IP Logged
kwsaw63
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Singapore
April-08-2010
447 Posts
Quote: Originally posted by Camillo on October-15-2012
I've never heard of a coolidor, but from the description, I feel like I would still prefer a humidor. I like the flavor that you get, when you've properly stored your cigar in a humidor.
There is no difference in flavour between storing your cigars in a coolidor vs a humidor.

-----------------

Message posted by Clark on November-14-2013 at 05:37 - IP Logged
View Clark's Profile Search for other posts by Clark Quote Clark Send Private Message Add to Buddy List
Clark
Gold Member
Gold Member
United Kingdom
April-01-2009
238 Posts
I still prefer a humidor to a coolidor but the last one is irreplaceable when talking about large quantities.

If you wish to post a reply to this thread you must first Login
If you are not already registered you must first register